Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's (Not) Electric


Today's PhotoHunter theme is "Electric." Welcome to Alcatraz Island, which was a Federal Prison in San Francisco Bay from 1934 to 1963. Alcatraz really was the worst of the worst, and offered punishment to its prisoners that some said was much more horrific than the electric chair.

Known as The Rock, Alcatraz housed well-known criminals such as Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelly and Franklin Stroud, also known as The Bird Man of Alcatraz, a murderer who was probably the best-known prisoner. No one was ever executed there.

The wake of the Alcatraz Ferry, leaving the city.

The approach to Alcatraz. Juxtaposition: Sailboat and cell block.

Thirty-six prisoners were involved in 14 escape attempts during Alcatraz's 29 years as a federal prison. Most were re-captured or shot. Two tried to swim to San Francisco, and were never heard from again.

One of the cell blocks. Not exactly the Penthouse Suite.

Alcatraz accomodations.

Solitary

6 comments:

Alice Audrey said...

You managed to get a little electricity in there. One light bulb, anyway.

bonggamom said...

Nice little history lesson there. I live in the SF Bay Area so I've been to Alcatraz several times and I always leave with a sense of relief that people don't have to be there anymore.

My Photo Hunt entry is here.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Interesting history. I think I have seen all the "escape from Alcatraz" movies.

Nice lightbulb, lol!

My Photo Hunters is up. I hope you have time to visit mine! New York Traveler.net

Happy weekend!

kayerj said...

cool pictures, I like that movie "Escape from Alcatraz. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

Melissa B. said...

Did you know that the world "Alcatraz" is Spanish for "Pelican"? I wonder why such a creepy place has such a pretty name...Superior Snaps, as always!

Miss Jo said...

Fabulous fotos of the Rock. It really looks beautiful sitting in the SF Bay...But I don't think cozy is a word ever uttered there. Maybe clammy. :)